Irish Water has issued an apology after numerous members of the public fell ill following drinking contaminated water which entered the public supply in August.
The unsafe water was distributed in parts of Dublin and north Wexford, after having gone undetected by Irish Water officials, who have now said they will take measures to prevent such an incident occurring in the future.
At least 52 people fell ill as a results of the malfunction, with a number of these subsequently hospitalised as a result.
Irish Water Managing Director Niall Gleeson spoke today admitting the incident should not have happened.
“We would like to apologise to all of our customers,” Gleeson said.
“We should have communicated quicker and we should have dealt with the HSE and the EPA to agree necessary steps when untreated water went into the system. There was a failure there and we are taking steps to ensure that these failures don’t happen again,” he continued.
Gleeson further said Wexford County Council should have been quicker to inform Irish Water of the incidents.
“We should have been informed by Wexford County Council as soon as the incident happened,” he said.
“I know they had some communication issues with their operational staff and we are trying to understand why there was a failure in communication.”
IMAGE – “Two nurses transporting a bed down a hospital corridor” is licensed under CC BY 4.0