A 20-storey residential building in Milan, Italy went up in flames yesterday, sparking a mass inferno, making it difficult for rescue workers to make sure everyone got out safely.
The blaze began on the upper floors of the apartment complex on the outskirts of Milan.
The fire service said the flames spread rapidly to lower floors, which caused incredibly thick smoke inside the whole building.
The apartment complex houses 70 families, who were all being contacted to ensure nobody got left behind.
“The firemen are going from apartment to apartment, knocking down doors to make sure no one remains inside,” Milan mayor Giuseppe Sala said.
“But we are optimistic because people had time to get out,” he noted.
Dozens of ambulances and fire engines were at the scene, along with countless police officers and rescue workers.