Taoiseach Micheál Martin has expressed the need for ‘personal responsibility’ as he made his first public comments since Leo Varadkar attended a 50-person event with Katherine Zappone last month.
Varadkar attended the event organised by former Minister Katherine Zappone, which was not found to be in breach or regulations, but was flagged at possibly breaching guidelines issued to hospitality businesses.
The Taoiseach gave a short statement to The Sunday Independent following the controversy.
“The Tánaiste expressed his regret at attending the Merrion Hotel outdoor event. While the event didn’t breach regulations, the Government accepts that further clarity and consistency on guidelines was required,” Martin said.
“As we move forward, personal responsibility will be a key factor.”
On Friday evening, Varadkar apologised for attending the event.
“I probably let my guard down,” the Fine Gael leader said.