A meeting is to take place today where the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPET) will be discussing the reopening of indoor hospitality on the 5th of July.
A number of factors are to be discussed in relation to the reopening which includes the incidence of Covid-19 in Ireland, the spread of the Delta variant, hospitalisations and the vaccine rollout.
Although no formal decision has been made yet, speculation over the past few weeks suggests that everything which was meant to reopen on the 5th of July will be delayed.
As the meeting is being held today, there may be a decision made as early as tomorrow. Prior to the meeting, Taoiseach Micheál Martin is understood to have spoken with CMO Dr Tony Holohan, as well as being in contact with Tánaiste Leo Varadkar and the Green Party leader Eamon Ryan over the matter.
The Taoiseach stated that he was not in a position to name or speculate on a date. Higher Education Minister Simon Harris said that regardless of what decision is made, more will be open in July than what was open in June.
Speaking on RTÉ Radio 1s Morning Ireland; Harris stated, “I expect the cabinet to make the decision [on indoor dining] tomorrow and I think it will be important that we make that decision tomorrow,”.
He added that they want to keep something open when it’s opened rather than open it for a short period of time before closing it again if the Delta variant spirals.
“Once we open something we want to keep it open and I think the only thing that would be worse to tell a business than not reopening for a short period of time is getting into this spiral of stop and start,”.